How the DistroWatch Charts Should Really Look Like

Hello. Today, during my morning patrol and daily check-up on Linux I became curious and changed the DW charts from the default Last 6 Months view to the alternative Last 7 Days view. And …

… this is how the chart would look like if we’d live in a better world where we can indeed have nice things. πŸ˜‰

Ranks #1, 2 and 3 are the usual greats, one comfy Debian, one alternative Arch and one better Ubuntu. And on #4 already our EndeavourOS, where it belongs! I could live with this order. πŸ™‚ As you know I’m a huge fangirl of EOS, eventough it’s not really inviting for Linuxy housewives. And that’s also the reason why I would be perfectly happy with EOS on #4. See, the first 3 are all improved versions of their mothership distros and for that reason they ended up on top. Endeavour otoh is a bog standard ArchLinux, just with an added Calamares installer plus the Firefox browser and the YAY AUR helper. It doesn’t add any groundbreaking new luxuries and snugglyness, coz those attributes are neither needed nor wanted by its clientΓ©le. That is a genius concept in its own lazy, humble way and for the people who want specifically that sort of thing (like your blog babe for example) but doesn’t have the big mass appeal of its removed family member, Manjaro.

And that’s why we leave the big guys on top in peace and quiet and fall in rank behind them. Happy that we made it so far up in such a short time. But anyway, this what we see here is the Last 7 Days statistics only, not the default Last 6 Months. Still a dream … but hopefully realistic and not too far fetched. πŸ˜‰

2 comments

  1. DW should change its name to ‘DesperateDistros‘ πŸ˜‰ In reality Ubuntu by-its-self has more users than *ALL* the other Linux Distros combined..

    Operating System Share by Version (that’s a really long link so may not work) πŸ˜‰

    Linux total is like 1.37% ‘n Ubuntu represents 1.01% of that…

    Like

  2. I read that more as Linux: 1.37% plus Ubuntu: 1.01%, so a total of 2.38%. Canonical themselves divorced from Linux and refuse to be called a Linux distribution long time ago. And Ubuntu’s big installation base is no wonder as it was the first distro made for human beings and is nowadays mostly used by office drones who really don’t have no choice.

    In how far RHEL and Oracle are regarded in the statistics I have no clue and am not interested. This is a parellel universe that doesn’t touch our whimsical Linux funhouse.

    Also I guess the actual numbers of installed Linux systems is much higher than the statistics show. In many cases one downloaded ISO ends up copied and shared and installed on various computers of various users.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s